Friday, May 29, 2009

OMG...Freeway!!

So I went to meet the people in my office today. I start work on Monday, but I wanted to make a test run to see how long it would take to get from Highland Park/Eagle Rock to Santa Monica. (About 45 minutes...and that's with very limited traffic. Fortunately I can go into the office later in the morning to avoid rush hour.) My boss was really chill and low-key and the office itself was cool: posters from all the films the company has produced, including "Edward Scissorhands," "Little Women," "James and the Giant Peach," and "A Walk to Remember." I like that the types of movies this company produces have a bit of a range...so I won't be reading the same type of script over and over.

But this means that I had to go on The Freeway.

Now, I've been aware of what it could be like to drive on The Freeway since I was about 11 years old--when I first saw "Clueless." This is the image that has been ingrained in my mind:



Thankfully, it was nowhere near that bad. And my car is nothing like Dionne's. I will be driving an electric blue Ford Focus all summer: a car so uncool, it's almost too cool. But it has air conditioning, a CD player, and great gas mileage (fortunately, since gas is $2.80 a gallon here), so I'm not complaining. At least I'll always be able to find it in a parking lot.



Anyway, after meeting everyone I took a walk down Wilshire Blvd. to acquaint myself with the area and ended up at the Third Street Promenade, which is this giant outdoor mall. It was really overwhelming!! I did a little shopping and then went back on The Freeway and went home.

Oh yeah, on the way home I spotted a California vanity plate that said "CRUNKIN." Just thought I'd mention that...

This weekend I will hopefully be able to spend some time with my cousin, who I am staying with all summer. It's too cold to go to the beach, but I want to explore downtown Pasadena tomorrow and maybe apply for some jobs there (considering my internship is unpaid).

Then Monday I start work! I'm looking forward to it, though, because this is what I think I want to do for a career (the film industry, that is). Hopefully it suits me.

More later...including photos of my cousin's two pet cats, Bella and Ka!!

2 comments:

  1. i think your car is super adorable! and having pets around will be super nice.

    also at the gym today i watched clueless in german, and of course immediately thought of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of clueless, i just bought the DVD because i need it for Serious Thesis Research, and i learned something very interesting:

    did you know that the "bettys" in the movie (as in, "wasn't my mom a betty?") reference betty rubble from 'the flintstones'? i always thought it was betty from the archie comics.

    every day is learning experience, right? glad the freeway doesn't live up to the hype, but i will be praying for you every rush hour! xox

    ReplyDelete