Sunday, May 31, 2009

They have hot dog carts outside every bar.

I do not know how I feel about this. My cousin informed me that sometimes they even wrap BACON over said hot dog, and then put mayo, mustard, relish, and sauerkraut on it. Why? I have no idea. She also told me I would eat one of those monstrosities before the summer was out.

I refuse to believe her.

Anyway...

Yesterday my cousin and her husband (they will now be referred to as "my cousins") decided to get me out of the Pasadena area...so we went to their friend's apartment in Hollywood. It was a lot of fun: we drank beer and listened to electronic music for about four hours--and then we went to the bar, came back at 2, and hung out some more. I could really get used to marathon party nights...apparently that's how people in LA roll.

The apartment was walking distance from Hollywood Boulevard, only about five or six blocks. My cousins and their friends were very apologetic for how far we were going to have to walk to get to our destination, and I told them it was really no big deal--I'm from the East Coast, so we walk everywhere.

They took me to the Beauty Bar. Apparently there are a few other ones in major cities (Vegas, New York, San Diego), but I don't think it diminished its coolness. It was designed like a '50s-style salon...you can even get a manicure!! The DJ was fabulous, playing everything from the Beatles' "Oh-Bla-Di, Oh-Bla-Da" to some Morrissey song Madonna's "Into the Groove" to MIA's "Boys." Other nights there is apparently a lot of Motown music...which means I'm definitely going back!


It was a nice family-bonding night with some members of my family I have very rarely been able to spend large amounts of time with. Here's hoping there will be many more nights like this one this summer because it was so much fun.


I still don't know about those hot dogs, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment